Thursday, August 23, 2007

Ask Five with....SIDNEY CROFT!!!!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



Sidney Croft is a brand new author name for two authors who have combined their writing talents. Since they are new, I thought I'd post the bio blurb from their website at http://www.sydneycroft.com/index.php :

Sydney Croft is the alter-ego of two published authors who came together to blend their very different writing interests into adventurous tales of erotic paranormal fiction. Together, they developed a world where people with extraordinary abilities, like the power to control storms, could live and work with others like them. The series has been described as "Erotica meets the X-Men," and is unique in its own "super hero romance" niche.

The authors behind Sydney Croft live in different states and communicate almost entirely through email, though they often get together for conferences and book signings.


Now that you know a little about them, it's time to meet them!

1. What is the title of your latest release and what’s it about?


The novel is Riding The Storm, and it’s about a man who has a bizarre gift—the ability to control the weather. Unfortunately, the weather also controls him. Here’s the official back cover copy (Bantam’s cover copy rocks!)



The storm is over.

But the seduction is just beginning…



A storm’s rage. A woman’s desire. A man with the power to set them both free.



He can summon lightning at will. Emerge unscathed from the center of a tornado. Strip a woman down to her barest defenses through the sheer force of his sexuality. He’s gorgeous, dangerous and the target of parameteorolgist Haley Holmes’s latest mission. Haley has been dispatched to the Louisiana bayou to investigate the phenomenon known as Remy Begnaud – a man with a gift he never wanted: the ability to control a storm’s fury. But even a woman trained in bizarre weather phenomenon has no defense against the electrifying power of the ex-Navy SEAL…a power his enemies would kill to control.



With her agency monitoring their every move, Haley’s job is to seduce Remy, gain his trust – and help him harness his extraordinary gift. But who will protect her from this voracious lover who’s introducing her to a new world of erotic thrills – a man who grows increasingly insatiable with each new weather event? Haley knows a big storm is approaching – and with it will come unexpected delights. But, so, too, will the storm unleash her greatest fears: An enemy bent on destroying Remy. And her worst fear of all…falling in love with this magnificent man, then having to betray him…



2. Tell us a little about your daily writing life.


Larissa’s answer: I have a very non-structured writing life. It involves lots of coffee and lots of emails back and forth to Stephanie. We live states apart, so all of our co-writing is done through email and the occasional phone call. Generally, I work on one project at a time and write anywhere from 2-10 pages a day.



Steph’s answer: Ditto on the non-structure, coffee and plentiful emails. Except I need to work on more than one project for my sanity – I can generally get between 10 & 20 pages per day on various projects but somehow, the Sydney writing always goes faster because it’s a very exciting thing to build on Larissa’s scenes – there’s always an element of surprise.



3. I know Sydney Croft is two writing as one, and wonder if you ever argue over how a scene should be written?



Larissa’s answer: 99% of the time, we agree on everything. The remaining 1% usually involves rounds of discussion…but I wouldn’t say we argue. Generally, we talk our way through it. Every once in a while one of us just has to back down, because really, what it comes down to for me is that this series wouldn’t even be possible without Stephanie, so sometimes if I have to let her have her way on something, so be it. So far, I think we’ve always made the right choices in the long run.



Steph’s answer: I always tell people that I could never, ever write this series without Larissa. Never in a million years. And we’re usually very in-sync on scenes. What’s kind of cool is when we do have to figure things out, we’re so involved from our own character’s POV that that really helps. It’s not what’s best for Larissa and Steph, it’s, would Creed do this or wouldn’t Haley say this instead.



Larissa answers again: What Steph just said is very true. A lot of our choices are made for our characters and not for ourselves. People often say that they could never write with a partner because they couldn’t give up control, but I’ve never felt like I’ve given up control of anything in these books. Our choices are about what’s best for the book and the characters, not about what’s best for US.



4. Which authors have influenced you over the years, whether for their writing or for their friendship?



Larissa’s answer: My biggest writer influences have been Stephen King, Robert Jordan, Sharon Kay Penman, and Linda Howard. A strange mix, I know. But they are the writers who made me want to write from the beginning. Friends who have influenced me over the years? Alison Kent, for her incredible sexual tension, Stephanie Tyler for her amazing voice, Lydia Joyce for her unbelievable attention to detail, Lynn Viehl for her talent and capacity to endure. I have so many other amazing writer friends, and they’ll eventually all make it into my dedication pages!



Steph’s answer: My biggest writer influences, beyond Larissa, are Suzanne Brockmann, Tami Hoag and Linda Howard – love their alpha males. They’re the first authors that I read where I said, I can do this…I want to write this genre.



5. What is up next for you and your writing?


Larissa’s answer: Well, Steph and I are continually working on Sydney Croft novels…the second and third books in the Storm Series are due out in early 2008, and we were recently contracted for 3 additional Sydney books. Titles under my own name will be out in September (Snowbound,) and December (Secrets Vol. 21.) And I just finished the first book in my paranormal demon series, due out next summer from Grand Central Publishing (formerly Warner.)



Steph’s answer: Beyond the Sydney books, Sydney and Stephanie (I feel very multiple personalitied right now) are part of an anthology coming from Bantam in August 2008 – Sydney’s novella is Shadow Play, mine is Night Vision and the wonderful Eden Bradley is the 3rd author – her novella is called, The Art of Desire. I’m also finishing up a March 2008 Blaze and I’m working on book 2 of my Bantam Navy SEAL trilogy – right now it looks like all 3 books will be published very close together beginning in early 2009. So, Larissa and I are both busy and extremely happy.

Thank you ladies for a very fun and informative interview.

Be sure to check out their website at http://www.sydneycroft.com/index.php and to grab your copy of Riding the Storm, which should be appearing in bookstores anyday now.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

the book sounds great and I just signed up for your newsletter

Sydney said...

Thank you, Cathy! (This comment might post twice -- having some issues! *g*)